This post is going to be about our distance from the sun.
![]() |
| Our Solar System |
Now I'm sure you have all seen a picture like this one here. And you all probably have a good idea of where our planets position is. But do you know how important our position is?
First off what would happen if we were any closer to the sun?
![]() |
| Venus |
You only have to look at Venus to see what would happen to Earth if we were too close to the Sun. Venus is just outside the habitable zone and it is almost the same size and structure as Earth. All the water that ever existed in liquid form on Venus has long since been boiled away, its a wasteland.
So you can see that we'd only need to be slightly closer to the Sun before our oceans would start boiling away.
Ok what about being further away from the sun?
The first thing we would notice is the longer years. Being further away means that it takes longer to travel around the Sun. This means that all the seasons would be extended, so we would have longer summers and longer winters
Most drastically would be that the solar energy we receive from the sun would drop, therefore
we would see a massive decrease in the earth's ability to produce food, leading to wide spread starvation.
The solar power also drives our climate and weather patterns, so our weather would be drastically changed, that would only further the damage to the environment and mass extinction. And I imagine that things would get rather cold.
I have read that we are moving away from the sun, I have also read that we aren't. So I'm not positive about this. I figured I would put why this would be happening, if it really is.
The theory is that the Sun is constantly losing mass because of the solar
wind and other activity on the sun, As the mass of the Sun decreases its pull on the Earth decreases and so the Earth moves slightly further away.
There are moments when the utter hugeness of the universe scares me. The thought of one little thing moving and sending the earth spinning out of control scares me. But I know that this wont happen and I know that everything is in God's hands.
Isaiah 40:26 Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.


No comments:
Post a Comment